Sunday, December 04, 2011

Abe and Vampires


I am fascinated by vampire lore, stories, books, TV shows and movies. So it was a no brainer that I will read Seth Grahame-Smith's book "Abraham Lincoln / Vampire Hunter". After all I did read his other work "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" and found it to be entertaining. Indeed Seth did not fail me with this book about Abe Lincoln.

The book really got me thinking where the facts ends and where the fiction starts. Having been the product of Philippine education, I did not have any opportunity to study American History in High School and College. Of course it did not help that I was a science major in college. The only history we were required to take was Asian history and Philippine History. So I know little about honest Abe beyond what he looked like and that he was the president during the civil war. The facts and characters in the book were historically correct but Seth weaved a twist to the known history to include vampires. How vampires helped shaped Abe into the man that he was and how vampires played a role in the civil war. These are the two main assertions in the book that fascinated me. Seth also added photographs during the time of Lincoln that made his story telling more plausible. It was all very interesting and made me go "Hhhmm". A page turner indeed. Good job Seth. Can't wait for the movie coming out in 2012!

No comments: