Friday, January 08, 2016

Lea, you ruined Allegiance for me.






The main reason why I went to NYC last November was to join my friends watching Lea Salonga at the Longacre Theatre performing the lead role in Allegiance.  This would have been her return to Broadway after her appearances at Miss Saigon and Les Miserable.  So it was a big deal to see her again at Broadway.

2 days prior to our ticketed show date, we learned that she went to Miami to attend a friend's wedding.  We were hoping she would be back for our Sunday matinee show but alas she was still absent.  So I was already put off even before the show started.  And I must say that my opinion of the show may have been influenced by my displeasure.

Although the understudy Elena Wang, George Takei and Telly Leung were good, it was not enough for me to truly enjoy the show.  The musics were forgettable.  The dance numbers were simple and unimpressive. And the story was somewhat predictable.  I must say George made me cry at the end but it was too little too late.  So Lea, you definitely ruined it for me.  I will never make any effort to watch you ever again.

3 stars out of 5 for the show.

No comments: