Thursday, April 10, 2008

double minority

Ever since I was born, I have always been a minority in the community I lived in. Being born of Chinese heritage in the Philippines, I was a minority there. But integration to the Filipino community was not very hard for me since I was second generation Chinese in my family. And since the Chinese Filipino have through the years gained some form of respectability and wealth in the Philippines, it was not that bad being a minority.
Now that I decided to immigrate here in America, I find myself being a minority again. In fact, I am what I consider a double minority. Not only am I Asian/Filipino Chinese here, I am also gay. Living in a big urban town like Chicago, the people are more tolerant to the different ethnic and sexual orientations out there. But still prejudice and discrimination are present in a subtle way sometimes. One example would be with employment. I think being gay and Asian can sometimes be a disadvantage in finding work or blending well with your coworkers.
So I thought what if I move to China? Would that end my being a minority? I am Chinese so I will fit with the other Chinese very well. But since I am Chinese born and raised outside of China, I will still stand out and be a minority. Not only that, let us not forget I am gay too. So before I know it, the communist party will probably bury me alive.
I guess, I will have to live with being a minority till the day I die. *sigh*

No comments: