Saturday, February 11, 2012

Friendship that improves on closer acquaintance

As some of my friendships went south, there are others that improved. I speak of one friend Martin. Martin and I have known each other for decades now and we have been always friendly to each other. Although I have considered Martin to be a friend, the friendship has mostly been in a group dynamics. The more I got to know Martin, the more I see a goodness in him. He is always generous with his friends. He would often invite us over when he made some fancy dessert or meal. And he is there too to help out when needed. Plus it helps that he is the carefree obliging type that gets along with most people.

One time, I went to deliver some documents needed for an errand I request of him to do. And since I was asking him a favor, I thought it would be nice for me to give him a small commemorative T-shirt from an event that we have attended 6 months ago. I actually ordered this T-shirt around the holidays and just did not get a chance to give it to him. So it was even more fitting that I give it to him now to show my appreciation for the favor he is to do for me. I happen to arrive at his place as he was preparing dinner. He then proceeds to invite me over for dinner. Not only was it very nice of him to invite me for dinner, he also reciprocated my gift with a nice sweater he bought that he thought was too big for him. That gesture was beyond what I have expected. He has shown again his goodness and generosity. Indeed I perceived him as a better friend on closer acquaintance.

No comments: