Saturday, August 31, 2024

The new revival of Company by Sondheim

 





I have been looking forward to see this new revival of Sondheim's Company since I heard about it in TV.  This revival was rewritten to change the lead Bobby to a female Bobbie.  Hence some of the characters were also switched to the other gender.  One notable switch of gender was Amie changing to Jamie.  Amie and Paul were a heterosexual couple in the original Company.  It is now a gay couple Jamie and Paul.  All these changes were necessary because the struggles of the original 35 yo unmarried straight male (Bobby) 50 years ago seems unrealistic to the current social situation.  Bobby's social struggles are now more apt for a 35 yo unmarried woman.  Some lyrics of some songs were also tweaked. All these changes added to my curiosity to watch this revival. And since I took the initiative to listen to the music weeks prior to watching the show live, it only added to my anticipation. And boy it did not disappoint.  Love the singing, the acting and the production.  Everybody were superb.  I even did not mind the drawn out talking comedic portion of the show that at times I thought was unnecessary.

I would give this a 4.5 stars out of 5. 

No comments: