Tuesday, September 29, 2009

as good as it gets I think.

Coming out to your family as a gay man is an arduous endeavor for most gay men. Fear of rejection or shame of being a disappointment(although being gay is not a disappointment at all) can sometimes make a gay man hide in the proverbial "closet". I am fortunate enough that I was "forced" by my mom and brother to come out many years ago by jokingly confronting me of my sexuality. Although my brother remains to these day as a bible thumping gay hater, my mom has been very good at accepting my sexuality. And that I am always grateful for. And I know that my mother's acceptance has reached a point that I could not have hoped for more from her. It is as good as it gets I think. So how do I know that my mother has fully accepted my being gay? I know cause my mother tried to match me with this Filipino doctor that she know back home. And on top of that, she has even dreamt that the said doctor was enamored after seeing my photo and that I was love stricken after seeing the said doctor for the first time. You know Freud said that dreams are sometimes manifestations of our desire. I laughed when she told me about her dream but deep inside I am grateful.

No comments: