Sunday, November 16, 2014

Pippin comes to Pantages Theatre


Ever since the revival of Pippin happened in Broadway, I have wanted to see it.  So when I found out that it was coming to LA, I decided I must see it.  Then my friend told me that Matthew James Thomas will be performing the role of Pippin for the LA shows.  Matthew is cute and my friends gave him a rave review.  Matthew was the original cast of Pippin in Broadway.  That got me even more excited watching Pippin.

The day of the show arrived.  As I got my program, I dreaded seeing that small white piece of paper they insert to indicate who will be subbing for whom.  Alas, my worst fear was realized as I saw that I won't be seeing Matthew perform as Pippin.  In his place was Kyle Dean Massey.  I did not know anything about Kyle so I was pissed.  Really pissed.  My day was ruined!  For the first two songs, I sat there fuming over the fact that I won't see Matthew.  I felt robbed!  Then Kyle grew on me.  He was cute and he was good.  And when he took off his shirt, I was taken aback at how hunky he is.  Also the whole production was lively and riveting that I forgot about Matthew.  I love the acrobatics of the show.  So different from the Pippin I saw on video with William Katt and Ben Vereen.  It was like Cirque du soleil meets Broadway.  Love the iconic Fosse dance moves.   I love most of the songs.  I did not care much for Catherine and her songs but it was not that bad.  In fact I enjoyed the whole show that much that I decided to cough out 25 dollars to get the cast album at the lobby on my way out.  I listened to it in the car and visualized the show as I listen.  To this day, I still listen to the album in my car every time.  After reading more about Kyle, I realized that he is not some nobody understudy but was an accomplished Broadway actor.  This further improved my opinion of the show I saw.  In fact, Pippin is becoming one of my fave shows.
Our Pippin, dreamy Kyle Dean Massey. 

No comments: