Thursday, May 18, 2017

Man of La Mancha at the VPAC



It was my first time at the Valley Performance Arts Center to see Man of La Mancha.  I am only familiar with two songs from this musical and since I have not seen this before, I decided to see it.  Fortunately, my friend graced me with his presence so I was set for a fun event.

First off, I thought Davis Gaines as Don Quixote was fantastic.  He had a powerful voice that is so becoming of the character.  I also like Roland Rusinek as Sancho Panza.  Nikki Crawford as Aldonza was not bad either.  In fact let me just say that all the performers were good. 

Secondly, I like the VPAC theatre.  It was clean and modern and the acoustics were pleasantly effective.   It was easy to find and parking was a lot better than Theaters in LA.

Thirdly, the stage set was wanting.  The stage never changed except for a stair that goes up and down.  Whenever they portrayed a new place, they just brought in a flat piece of wood that served as a table or bed.  I would have like changing stage set so that I do not have to imagine where they were suppose to be.

Lastly, I like most of the songs of the show.  Special mention to "Man of La Mancha".  The tap number with the horses was very amusing.   "The Impossible Dream" of course is a classic that many knows.  I was teary eyed with that number.  "I'm only thinking of him" was a good melodic song.  The microphone of Padre unfortunately did not work so we could barely hear his voice in that trio medley number.  What a shame.  Some of the other songs were sort of forgettable.

3.5 stars out of 5.

No comments: