Thursday, July 23, 2020

Bake when in quarantine

I take this COVID 19 pandemic seriously.  And one simple way to prevent me and my mom from getting it is to self quarantine in our home.  I only go out to work and the essential errands like grocery.  Since I am home a lot, I keep myself busy by tending to my yard and learning to bake.  I recently discovered how to make Leche flan from youtube and it was a success.  I dare say my flan is tasty.  The problem with making flan is it only needs egg yolk in the recipe.  So what am I to do with the egg white???  I do not want it to go to waste so I scower the internet for a simple meringue cookie recipe since I know it only uses egg whites.  I made some but it can get quite messy filling the piping bag with the beaten egg white.  Using a simple spoon or spatula makes for some oddly shaped cookies.  Mom suggested Angel food cake so I searched the internet once more for that recipe.  I tried making it and it was a success again.  Instead of using vanilla extract as the recipe calls for, I used orange extract.  It is yummy indeed.  Maybe next time I will use a different extract like banana or purple yam.  I dunno...

No comments: