Thursday, August 28, 2008

Am I Alpha or Beta?

I read this article in Instinct magazine by Keith W. Swain, PsyD. This article is titled "superhero seeks sidekick" on the August 2008 edition. The article is described as about gay men, biology and how to make and sustain a successful relationship. Of course I was hooked into reading it. The article talks about 2 kinds of men in general. The Alpha Male and the Beta Male. The Alpha male is typically the one who takes care of financial needs in the relationship, he likes to "rescue" his partners from problems, typically has shorter 2nd finger than 4th, has typically youthful faces and physically smaller framed. And of course the Beta male are the "opposite" of the Alpha male attributes. Wow I was blown away by this. Specially the physical attributes. The article goes on to say that if you are an Alpha gay male, you should find Beta gay male for relationship to have a more compatible coexistence cause two Alpha gay males will just butt heads eventually. The author goes on to say that generally male tend of be Alpha in the relationship and female tends to be Beta that is why more Hetero relationship works better than most gay man relationship. Very interesting.

This leads me to think if I am Alpha or Beta. Based on the article, I am more Alpha than Beta. This made me think about my past relationship with Todd. And in that relationship, I was clearly the Beta. And in my second long term relationship with Ed, I was more the Alpha. So perhaps I am truly versatile with it comes to my role in the relationship... But which do I prefer? I think right now, I would rather be the Alpha male.

No comments: