Friday, September 24, 2010

An evening with Fiona

My friend Pinky invited me to join her and Tom to watch "An evening with Sutton Foster" at the newly remodeled Broadway Playhouse last night. I was luke warm with the idea but since I did enjoy watching Sutton portray Fiona in Shrek, I went ahead with them. First off, Sutton is an amazing singer and actress. The show is a cabaret style performance where she sings several songs from her album and roles she has portrayed in the past. And since I have only seen her in Shrek, I was only familiar with that song. I was also familiar with songs from her album cause Pinky gave me a copy of that album. But more than half of the songs were new to me. This situation resulted to me being bored half of the time. The guy to my left was fully enjoying the show and it was obvious that he was a big Sutton fan. He has probably seen all of the roles Sutton has portrayed in Broadway. Pinky was also fully appreciating the show cause she knew all of the song.

After the show, we waited for Sutton for a chance to meet her. It so happen that Bobby Cannavale of "Will and Grace" was watching the show too. And he was outside smoking so we took the opportunity to have our picture taken with him. Our evening was highlighted by our finally meeting Sutton. Pinky and my other friend Lani have been trying for a long time to meet her in several of those Broadway shows she was in but Sutton had been very elusive. So this meeting with Sutton was very special specially to Pinky. She was tall, slim, pretty, nice and obliging which just made me like her more.

The evening was a fun evening despite those moments of boredom. But next time I will probably skip that kind of show unless I really like the performer or have seen the performer in several roles.

No comments: