Tuesday, September 07, 2010

He did it on a post it!

There was this episode in Sex and the City where Carrie's boyfriend, Burger, broke up with her on a post it. The girls made a big fuss about it that he was being cowardly and that it was so inappropriate. Break up should be done in person was the message.

In the past month, I was undertaking the dilemma on how to break up with this guy Joe. I wanted to do the easiest route for me which was to email him. My friend Sam was a little disapproving about that and my friends Tom and Pinky thought I should do it in person. They added that since Joe was good to me, I ought it to him to do the break up properly in person.

So I emailed Joe asking if he was available the coming weekend to I can come to his place to talk. (Let me mention that Joe likes using the email to communicate instead of phone calls or text message.) He emailed me back asking what was so important to talk about. He added that if I was to break up with him, he wanted to know via email since he is a grown man. He continued that he won't allow anybody to be "controversial" under his roof coupled with the accusation that I was being controversial. So I emailed him back that I was just trying to do the right thing and that I was not being controversial. I got my wish and was able to do the break up via email just the way he wanted it too in the first place. All the worrying I went through with the anticipation of a face to face break up was not needed.

What I am trying to say here is, who says that break up ought to be done in person? I guess one has to take the situation and the other person into consideration. In my case, Joe obviously did not care to be broken up with in person. He just wanted to know via email so he can cope with it alone and in privacy. Also with the current age of technology, breaking up via email, voicemail or text message seems not so foreign sounding anymore.

No comments: