Friday, December 17, 2010

I also love you Phillip Morris



I was apprehensive watching the movie "I love you Phillip Morris" because it starred Jim Carrey. I have never been a fan of that guy. I think his acting is over the top and I do not find his comedic flare funny or amusing at all. But with all honesty, Jim Carrey did not annoy me in this movie. The eccentricity of the character seems appropriate for Jim Carrey's occasional over the top acting. He portrayed the cunning, slightly crazy, con man Steven Russel quite well. I may have just tolerated Jim but on the other hand, I was captivated by the acting of Ewan McGregor as Phillip Morris. The way he moved and his facial expressions made me believed that he is really a gay man in love. And that blond blue eyes look he sported was just adorable.

This true story borders on the preposterous. Steve Russel conned so many people, businesses and government agencies into believing that he is a lawyer, CFO and even a dying AIDS patient. He escaped out of prison so many times that the movie proclaimed he was an embarrassment to the government of then Texas Governor George W Bush. I got out of the theatre still asking if that really happened but the movie said "This really happened" in the beginning. So it did happen.

The movie was just the perfect mix of comedy and drama. I would give it a 5 star out of 5.

No comments: