Saturday, September 29, 2012

To Union or not.

I have never belonged to a Union in all my employment years. If you asked me 5 years ago if I would want to be in a Union, I would have said no. I would have thought that belonging to a Union is just one more expense I can do without. But after seeing some unfair employer practices, I am now pro union. Here in Illinois where it is an "at will employment", an employee can be terminated anytime for whatever reason the employer has. It could be any stupid and insignificant reason the employer has. And without an employment contract or the protection of a Union, the employee has no legal recourse. And I have seen some very unfair and unreasonable employer practices that made me reconsider my position on Unions. The collective bargaining and protection a Union offers can be a good thing for an employee treated unfairly. Now I just need to sign up to one if given the option.

No comments: