Thursday, July 24, 2014

Unfriended in Facebook.

What does it mean to me to be "unfriended" in facebook.  Well I guess it depends on how close I was to the person who unfriended me.  If I barely know that person, it is no big deal.  If I was close to that person, it is like being told that he/she does not want anything to do with me anymore.  It can therefore be hurtful to my feelings.

As it happens, I just got unfriended by somebody I considered to be a close framily (friend and family).  I discovered it accidentally so I was taken aback by his/her actions.  And the only reason that I could think of for his/her action was my coming out in Facebook as an Atheist.  I knew it was going to be unsettling for some to read some of my post that is contrary to their religious beliefs.  And I am not going to be quite about my beliefs considering that everybody else on a daily basis post something about their religious beliefs.  "Praise the lord...."  "you have my prayers"  "Jesus blah blah blah" etc.  I put up with these declarations all the time.  It is high time for them to see an opposing view once in a while.  Facebook after all is a community of very diverse people with diverse beliefs and views.

I was hurt to see that he/she has to unfriend me just because I expressed my opinion on religion.  I thought his/her action was too extreme and rather uncaring.  After all, I do not go about antagonizing his/her religious views on his/her page or a common page we both belong to.  All my post about my views on religion are only on my facebook page.  I should not be censored on my page.  Oh well, I suppose he/she was entitled to do what he/she wanted.  Nothing much I can do but move on and let this not deter me from being true to myself.  I am the one to face myself daily knowing that I had convictions on my beliefs.

No comments: