Friday, October 23, 2015

Annie at the Pantages

My mom and I along with my cousins recently saw Annie at the Pantages Theatre.  I was looking forward to it since I have seen the movie versions so many times with my sisters with I was small.  So I am very familiar with it.

The stage version followed the basic plot of the movie (or vice versa) with some changes.  Again I am very cognizant of the fact that certain scenes in the movie are just too impractical to be shown on stage.  So I am not complaining.  I like the kids who portrayed the orphans.  The girl who played Annie was Issie Swickle and she was a sweet thing who sang beautifully.  The other orphans were also very good singer and dancers.  Mom especially enjoyed how talented these youngins were.  The actress who played Miss Hannigan (Emily Moreland) was a scene stealer.  She was comedic and almost over acting but it suits the role.  Gilgamesh Taggett who played Oliver Warbuck was an affable actor who sang with solid authoritative voice befitting the character.  In fact they added several songs for him in the stage version.  Other major characters like Grace Farrell, Rooster Hannigan  and FDR were appropriately portrayed by their respective actors.  I did miss Punjab in the stage version.  He was not forgettable in the film version.  The stage version also added new songs for the ensemble.  They were riveting and convincing with their portrayals.  One song I missed from the movie version was the "Let's go see a movie" song.  Shame since I did like that song.

It is hard not to compared when I enjoyed both versions.   I will give this show a B+.  Something to check on my list of shows I have always wanted to see.

No comments: