Friday, October 23, 2009

Catch 22 Miracle

Loads of catholic/christian pilgrims flock to Lourdes France for the miraculous holy water. Indeed there were many unexplained miraculous healing but there were also many unhealed cases.

I was at Lourdes last week. I have heard of my friend saying that when her parents went and bath at the Lourdes water, they got out of the water almost instantaneously dried. Being a skeptic that I am, I challenged my friend to try it on myself. I was going to bath in the Lourdes water and see for myself if I get out of the water dried instantaneously and miraculously. But she told me that it will not happen to me since I do not BELIEVE. So if I believe, it will happen and if I don't believe, it won't happen. That is where the catch 22 comes in. Who is to say that a fervent believer really got out of the water dried instantaneously or it is fanaticism at work? Couldn't the mind of a fanatic believer fool the person into believing that he/she really got out of the water dried instantaneously? And the non believer of course, who keeps an objective mind, will experience normal logical drying time after coming out of the water. Since, it was so cold that day when I was at the Lourdes, I did not bother to test the miraculous instantaneous drying. My mother on the other hand did it all. And she really believed in the miracles of the Lourdes. Upon arrival at Lourdes, she immediately wet her head to heal her calcified brain tumor. She drank loads of the miraculous water to heal her ailments and aches. She touched the rocks surrounding the grotto as millions did in the past in hopes of a miracle. And she even bath in the water to alleviate her sore sprained ankle. So when I asked her if she felt dry instantaneously after coming out of the water, she said not really. And she was still limping after bathing and drinking Lourdes water. So was it really miraculous water? What do you think?

1 comment:

Lani said...

I read this quote once:To those who believe, no proof is necessary. To those who don't believe, no proof is possible. Religious experiences are so personal and individual that it's probably impossible to see a common pattern.