Saturday, December 05, 2009

The Addams Family

We saw The Addams Family the other night at the Oriental Theatre here in Chicago. Big names like Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth were playing the lead roles of Gomez and Morticia, respectively. Other theatre known names that were in big roles include Terrence Mann, Carolee Carmello, Kevin Chamberlin, Jackie Hoffman, Zachary James, Wesley Taylor and Krysta Rodriguez. Frankly I did not know any of them except for Jackie Hoffman whom I saw in Xanadu. As usual Jackie delivered some funny witty lines with current pop culture references. In fact the song lyrics and lines of the actors were cleverly written in general and diverting. Bebe delivered a wonderful portrayal of Morticia while Nathan simply reminded me of him in Birdcage. Don't get me wrong, he was funny too but I just could not erase that Birdcage imagery of him. Among the lead roles, I thought Terrence had the most impressive voice. Act one opening number was rousing but the later songs and story lines got dull. Act two was better with more engaging songs like "Crazier than you" duet of Wesley and Krysta. The set design, costumes, dance and choreography were all exemplary. I felt the swing cast was really not necessary for the show. They were only there to give vocal support to the singing of the main cast.

After the show we waited for the actors outside the stage door. It was a cold night but we endured and were rewarded by the very gracious Bebe and Wesley. Wesley was short but well compensated by being super cute and super nice. I even got a picture with him that I will treasure. Jackie was a snob when she did not stopped at all to sign playbills and obliged her adoring fans. I guess I was lucky when she came out to mingle with the fans after the show I saw in NYC. And Nathan was simply a no show. Is he too big of a star for it? I dunno...

Over all I grade the evening with 3 1/2 stars out of 5. yon lang...

No comments: