Thursday, April 21, 2011

I want to know what happened.

There has been some situations when my friends have seen one particular show I am about to watch or read one particular book I am about to read. And in those occasions, they refuse to tell me what happened even when I told them that I want to know. Since they don't want to know what happened before they have seen a show or read a book, they insist that I should not know too. That is sort of annoying really since they are deciding what I want instead of giving me what I want.

In one of those occasion, I asked my friend who died in the Harry Potter book that she has read already. She will not tell me despite of me saying that I want to know. Despite explaining that I am not one of those person who wants the suspense, she still won't tell me insisting that it will ruin it for me. She still did not tell me even after I explained that it will not ruin it for me cause I am not like her. Well I got tired of trying to pry it out of her that I just gave up feeling annoyed.

In another occasion, I tried to borrow the CD of a musical we are about to watch. She insist that she will only lend me the CD if I won't listen to some of the songs she has indicated cause it will ruin the story for me. I told her that I want to know what happened cause it will help me understand and appreciate the musical more when I actually see the show just like with Miss Saigon. I have listened to the CD of Miss Saigon so many time that I can sing along with the lyrics before I saw the musical. And guess what? It did not ruin it for me. I still left the show crying even though I already knew the main character died. Since my friend won't lend me the CD unless I promised not to listen to all the songs, I just told her NEVER MIND lending the CD. I was left put out again by her insisting she knows what is best for me.

In fact when I watch a tennis match, I get too nervous that I could not bear to watch it. When I know that the player I am routing for won, then I can watch the game and enjoy it. The suspense is actually limiting me from enjoying the match. So I really really get irritated when my friends try to control what information I should know cause they think I am like them. It is rather presumptuous and arrogant of them.

No comments: