Thursday, March 21, 2013

Boring Jekyll & Hyde


Last night I saw Jekyll & Hyde with my friend Tom.  Neither Tom nor I have seen this in Broadway so we both decided to watch it during the pre-Broadway run here in Chicago.  After all, Deborah Cox was the lead role.  On paper, this show sounds like an entertaining one.  But I was sadly mistaken.  First, the understudy played the role of Lucy billed for Deborah.  This alone was not enough for me to dislike the show.  It was the fact that the show was just plain tedious.  I did not give up after the 3rd number but it continued to be a bore.  The actor sang strongly but the arrangement of the songs were just nothing spectacular.  It had a flare of modern rock but in a wrong way.  I almost felt the actors were yelling a lot while singing the songs.  Don't even get me started on how Jekyll turns into Hyde.  It was implied that the other characters don't recognize Hyde as actually Jekyll so they should have done something to make this more plausible.  All Jekyll did was took his pony tail off and don a cape/coat and tap hat when he turns to Hyde.  Am I suppose to believe that Hyde is unrecognizable as Jekyll this way?  On the positive side, the stage set up was artsy and effective.

I wanted to leave in the middle of the show but decided to finish it so I can say I have seen it.  Otherwise, I would have just seen part of it.  I may have waited for it to end but no sooner after the last song ended, we were out of there.  I will give this just a 1 star out of 5.  I say skip it.

No comments: