Monday, April 27, 2009

To Norfolk and back

This past weekend, I flew to Norfolk Virginia for the first time ever to that part of the country. Weather.com promised beautiful weather in Norfolk. High 80's and no rain. That was definitely something to look forward too. When I got to the Tazewell Hotel in downtown, I was pleasantly surprise at how nice the hotel was. High ceiling and it has an old world charm. For the priceline price of $45/night, I was pleased to say the least. And the hotel was centrally located too. Near the mall and restaurants. The Therapeutic taping seminar that brought me to Norfolk was a good one. I say I got a lot out of it. Some handy tricks to use on my patients.

My flight going to Norfolk was not the best flying experience I have had with United. The plane was delayed by 20 minutes due to the wait for take off in the runway. The plane was small with a only two seats on each side. The overhead compartment was also small that I have to check in our pullman luggage prior to boarding. And to top in all off, I was seated besides a big portly guy who had to pull up the dividing armrest between us so he can fit in his seat. Of course he was over flowing to my seat and it was not the most comfortable situation. I did not complain to the flight attendant cause I could not get myself to be mean to the man. He was genteel looking in his 60s with balding head. What remained of his hair was platinum white. He wore glasses and was dressed for business. Somehow he reminded of a nice grandpa that you want to respect and be nice too. So if I had complained to the flight attendant, he would have to be kicked off the plane based on the policy of UAL on over sized passengers. And the thought of him unable to go home with his grandma wife being worried waiting for him was too much to bear. So I bore it like a good obliging boy and just read my magazines.

As bad as my outbound flight was, my inbound flight from Norfolk to Chicago was a very pleasant one. The Nauticus that I planned to visit on the day of my return flight was closed. That left me with all the time to kill in Norfolk with nothing to do. So I decided to go early to the airport and go on standby for an earlier flight. Checking online showed that the earlier flight was not sold out. So I was hopeful as I checked in but at the same time ready to spend 3-4 hours in the airport in case I could not be accommodated. But to my surprised, I was able to board the earlier flight and my seat was economy plus too with wider leg room. And the fellow next to me was a nice average sized older chatty gentleman. I had my seat comfortably all to myself and all was well. Very happy to be back home early.

So was it Karma at work for my opposing flight experience? Or was it just coincidence and pure luck? Should I borrow a thought from Florine Maria when she was shipped by the Mother superior to be the governess of the Von Trapp children? Maria thought "When the Lord closes the door, somehow He opens the window". Whatever higher power at work or not, I am just very pleased to be back home to feed my fish and enjoy my days off.

No comments: