Friday, June 05, 2009

Dogs and Cats

I saw an article in gay.com that there is now an airline for pets (dogs and cats) that will fly our furry friends. For now they service LA, Chicago, NYC, Denver and DC. The pets themselves will be flying in the main cabin and not in the cargo area of the plane. I rolled my eye as I read this article. Obviously there are people who will pay good money to fly their pets otherwise there won't be airlines like this.

It made me further think of what this really means. I came up with the conclusion that pets, like other luxuries in life, is really a manifestation of the excesses some of us can afford to have. If one can barely afford to pay rent and have food 3x a day, I am sure he/she would not indulge in having a expensive pet. Specially a big pet like a dog, cat, snake, big fish or parrots that cost a lot of money to maintain. In fact if one is really desperate and hungry, I am sure Fido will be the main dish for dinner. The fact that many Americans can afford to treat their pets like a member of their family (e.g. pet food, vet care, pet toys, pet clothes/accessories) means that our society can afford these excesses. In the third world, dogs eat human left overs and never see a vet in their lifetime. They are there to be guard dogs. And cats are kept to catch the rat/mouse in the house. Stray dogs and cats are caught and eaten by the poorest members of society. Here in these third world society, only the very basic Human needs take precedent over anything else. The way society or an individual treats their pets is really a reflection of the wealth of the society or individual. And being a practical person that I am, I just find it hard to relate on how some people spend that much money on their pets. I feel there are better ways to spend that excess money without maltreating or neglecting the pets.

2 comments:

Greg Konowitz said...

Obvisouly you have never had a pet. :)
Where I agree the whole pet airline is excessive. There have been times when I have gone without so my dog can go to the vet. In America where we choose to move from our families as opposed to most other countries, pets provide a companionship - that is sometimes needed to remain sane.

Jon said...

Thanks for your opinion Greg.
And I did have a dog once. Her name was Nosey. She was a mutt with some golden retriever in her. I treated her well. She was kept dry/warm and feed well but I have not loose sight with the fact that she was a dog, not a person. A dog does not need doggie bed or birthday cake or special outfit or first class airplane accommodation. That is just my point of view about the excesses that I feel many indulge their dog/pet.