Thursday, April 08, 2010

Aquarium and fresh water fish

Having an aquarium is a learning process like any other endeavors. And I have learned so much this past several years in maintaining a 10 gallon tank. As I have upgraded to another 20 gallon tank last month, I have acquired more fish of different shape, colors and temperament. These are a few of my observations about some freshwater fishes.

> Fish can be trained like Pavlov's dog. I always turn off the water filter and air bubble prior to feeding them. So now every time I turn the filter and air bubble, they know it is feeding time. They start to crowd the surface in anticipation for food. They even approaches every time I come close to the tank. They have associated my presence to food.

> Gold fish are not the easiest to maintain. Fantail and comets alike. They seem to die on me. Perhaps I keep too much of them in so small a tank. This is an ongoing experiment with me.

> Male Betta does not need to be solitary as thought. They may not be mixed with other betta but they can mix with other fish like the neon tetra. They do not seem to bother each other.


> Neon tetra are nervous fishes. The like to hide behind the rocks and plants. They stay in the bottom mostly and are even too scared to go up and get the food in the surface during feeding. Perhaps the other big fish scares them too much.


> Lamp eye tetra or red eye tetra are fin nippers. They nipped the fin of my gold gourami resulting to its eventual death. They even nipped the fin of the glass fish. But despite their unbecoming behavior, they are pretty to watch schooling together with their silver scales glimmering as they swim in groups.


> Black skirt tetras are such hardy fishes. I have had mine for years now. They are good eater but also nervous eaters. During feeding, they like to swim very fast to the surface to snag the food and return to the safety of the bottom. They remind me of piranhas during a feeding frenzy.


> Blue gourami are very territorial and are such bullies. But they somehow leave alone those fish that swim about too much like the danios. Perhaps it is too tired to bother chase a fast swimmer. It also seem to leave alone the small fish like the neon tetra. Too small to bother?


> Gold gourami on the other hand are more peaceful than the blue gourami. They are not bullies like their cousin. And they are just as fancy and pretty to look at.


> Guppies are very easy to breed as people say. Indeed just put a male and female together and you will eventually get babies. I had 5 babies already from my 2 males and 4 females. Baby guppies are voracious eaters. Feed them constantly and they grow and grow.


> Glass fish and rose barb are perfect community fish. They seem to be the most docile and peaceful fish. They are pretty when they school and do not bother others. Although they seem to be less hardy and may suffer more with less than optimal water conditions.

No comments: