Friday, April 30, 2010

selfishness versus fairness

I do not profess to be the most unselfish, generous and altruistic person. I admit that I look after myself and my family first before others. I think most of us do. And that is being selfish to a degree. But I always try to be fair to others and not let my selfish tendencies to overwhelm my personality. I feel that if I did not cause the woes of that other person, I have no problem in being a little selfish. If my actions results to the woes of others, then my fair side overrules my selfish side.

This past weekend, I saw one example on how some people can be selfish. While boarding the plane home from LA, the flight crew repeatedly announced not to put the second smaller hand carry bags and coats on the overhead compartment so the people boarding late will have some space for their main hand carry luggage. It was advised that smaller bags and coats be placed under the seat in front. But still I saw people who boarded earlier putting their coats and secondary hand carry bags in the overhead compartment without care or thought to the late boarding passengers. Their actions affects the other passengers cause they are in effect taking the spaces allotted for those passengers. That was selfishness that I do not subscribe to. It was not fair. I do not wish to be that selfish.

No comments: