Saturday, September 10, 2011

Anything Goes was de-lightful.


Saw the revival musical Anything Goes in NYC with Sutton Foster this past labor day. Prior to seeing this production on stage, I was already delighted by the Tony Awards performance of Sutton and the company of Anything Goes. So I was really excited to see this on stage live. I tell you it did not disappoint. Sutton was truly deserving the best actress award she got for portraying Reno Sweeney. She was funny, magnetic and just a total delight to watch. Her tap dancing prowess was also a crowd pleaser. Oh I need to mention that the guys who played sailors were also very pleasing to watch. Good dancing and a sailor uniform = a hit in my book. And I must not forget to mention that Colin Donnell who played Billy Crocker is so dreamy. He can sing and dance too to boot. Joel Grey who played Moonface Martin was hilarious. I liked him despite of the fact that I did not care of his Blue Bird song. Adam Godley who played Lord Evelyn Oakleigh was also a funny character. It was unfortunate that he did not come out to meet his fans at the stagedoor. I would have love to chat him up with my attempt at an English accent. I must say every cast member did a very good performance that only added to the show's success. The first half of the show was the more fun part with songs like You're the top and It's De-lovely that are very catchy tunes. And to cap the first act was the song Anything Goes with its song and dance extravaganza. The second act was also good with songs like Blow, Gabriel, Blow and The Gypsy in Me. The middle part was slow in my book with that Blue Bird song.

There is one small thing that I have a beef about this show. The setting of the story was suppose to be in the 30's or 40's and it was before the integration of blacks in society. So as my friend points out, how come there was a black sailor out in the deck serving with the white sailors? From my understanding the blacks served in the galley back then. And a black up dancer for Reno Sweeney? I know the smaller roles are not that obvious that they employ blind casting. I honestly did not mind seeing the black cast, it just takes away from the show's realism and authentic atmosphere.

Cast members in the pictures are Robert Creighton (ship's Purser), Colin Donnell (Billy Crocker) and Laura Osnes (Hope Harcourt), respectively. They were all very obliging to their fans.

This will have to be in my top 5 of fave musicals.

No comments: