Friday, November 11, 2011

That Djoker is a joke.

Here are the facts:

> Japan's Kei Nishikori stunned an injured Novak Djokovic 2-6, 7-6 (7/4), 6-0 to hand Djokovic with a semi-final defeat at the Swiss Indoors event in Basel. Djokovic called a medical timeout to get treatment on his right shoulder during that match.

> Djokovic stood to earn $2 million from the ATP bonus pool if he’d played in all eight Masters tournaments, but he lost $400,000 when he didn’t appear in the Shanghai Masters because of injury. He would have lost all of it if he hadn’t played in the Paris Masters. Djokovic showed up in Paris and played two matches then withdrew on the third match against Tsonga.

> "It was really somehow funny for me to see how people are coming up with that story. I even heard that I would get on the court and play a game just to get this money. This is ridiculous. I want to play well here. I want to get as far as possible, and then London, which is the most important tournament in this part of the year for all of us. I really wanted to come because I played at Basel a couple of matches, but I need more matches before London,” Djokovic said.

> “Sadly I have to inform you that I have withdrawn from the tournament. I have pushed myself to the limit by playing, and after the match yesterday my shoulder got worse. For this reason, I have to put my health first and withdraw even though my urges as a professional player are making me want to play until the last drop of energy. I am very sorry for all of you who bought tickets and wanted to come to watch me play. My season has been long and tiring, I played all of my matches at my highest level, and now my body is aching for recovery. Hoping for your understanding and support." Djokovic wrote.


Here are my opinions on the whole affair:

> He deserve that bonus as Number 1 and I do not blame him for playing at the Paris Masters so he can collect $1.6 million by just showing up.

> He should have admitted that money did play a part in his decision to play at Paris (despite the injured shoulder) instead of saying that people speculating about it is ridiculous. Trying to be all principled about it by claiming instead that he needed more matches before ATP Finals in London is just unrealistic.

> His public persona is tainted further after he withdrew proving the nay sayers right on their speculation that he showed up for the money.

> This made him even more unlikeable to me. He already has shown himself to be an arrogant guy. Now he is also a liar. What a joke.

No comments: