Thursday, December 22, 2011

Fiddler's review

I have seen Fiddler on the Roof movie several times so I know by heart the story when I saw it in live theater at the Auditorium. This knowledge usually helps me enjoy the live theater version but it seemed to have dampened my enjoyment this time. Somehow the similarity of the movie version with the live theater version rendered the live theater somewhat lack luster. I was almost bored during some segment of the show. Besides the isolated near boredom, the show was entertaining. John Preece who played Tevye was delightful in his portrayal of the iconic role. All the other cast members did a good job in their respective roles. I like the set design and how it changed. There was not a lot of dancing in the show but the dance number of the Christian Russian with the Jew at the wedding of Tzeitel was pretty catchy. Act One was better than Act Two because it contained more of the songs we have grown to associate with the show.

It was a fun evening but does not rank high in my list. I will give it 3 stars out of 5.

No comments: