Sunday, January 01, 2012

La Cage Aux Folles review


I have enjoyed Birdcage the movie and it was to be expected that I will enjoy La Cage Aux Folles, the musical.
On the plus side, Christopher Sieber played the role of Albin/Zaza. He was just vastly diverting. His performance was unforced and his comedic punches were a big hit. His voice was magnificent. When he sang "I am what I am", I was almost moved to tears. The raw emotion was just so palpable. Billy Harrigan Tighe who played Jean-Mitchel was just so dreamy. And he has a good strong voice too. So becoming. Also the Les Cagelles were super athletic and talented. They sang, danced and did acrobatic moves. To think they did that in full sequined dresses and heels, I was impressed!
On the minus side, George Hamilton played Georges. He was too old for this role. His voice and movement sounded and looked frail. His singing was not bad but it just lack the power of a true broadway performer. He would have been more appropriate for this role 20 years ago. Also I thought Jeigh Madjus who played the role of Jacob (the butler/maid) was over the top somehow. There was just too much of the queenie antics. Almost like over acting. Besides "I am what I am", many of the songs were nice and melodic but quite forgettable.
The evening had its good points and bad points. So I would give it a 3 stars out of 5.

No comments: