Monday, January 02, 2012

New Year gave me a small consolation price.

Over the past decade, I have grown to be disillusioned and somewhat angry about my January 1 birthday. I felt that my special day is always second best and an after thought to the big New Year celebration. So this past birthday, I decided to just surrender to this predicament and not even bother celebrating the so called birthday. I did not expect anything from friends and family cause in the past, expectations that they will be there for my special day only led to disappointment. So no expectations, no disappointment.

Just as I was content to treat January 1 as just the New Year, I got a text from a friend. And I quote:

You may disagree but I think it's fabulous that we think of you on the very first day of the year. Happy Birthday Jonard! Lani


What Lani said is true indeed. Those people who knew me long and well have learnt to associate New Year Day with my birthday. And hence, they seldom forget to greet me. I must say that any other birthday not associated with a major holiday would have been easily forgotten. I know I am guilty of forgetting the birthdays of some of my friends and family. So this past birthday, I got tons of birthday text greetings from friends and family. And despite not posting my birthday in Facebook, I still got tons of greetings from those who knew me well. I must concede though that some of those Facebook birthday greetings are a result of them seeing the birthday posts in my wall/newsfeed. Still it was nice to get them. Indeed it was nice to be remembered. Indeed New Year Day gave me this small consolation price for ruining my birthday.

2 comments:

Lani said...

Just think: your day of birth is so momentous, it's a national and global holiday :)Awesome.

Jon said...

Thanks tita lani for reminding me that the glass is half full instead of half empty. But let us not forget that it is not my birthday that is a national and global holiday. It is New Year. I just happen to be born that day. But at least now I can see some positive out of it. Thanks to you. :-)