Thursday, January 16, 2014

First dates are like job interviews.

Now a days, it is not uncommon to meet people online.  The next step after contact is established is to meet in person.  I always say that first impression matters when meeting somebody for the first time.  Much like in a job interview.  It is the chance to show the prospective love interest a good impression of oneself.

Recently, I met a guy online and we started chatting online and via text messages.  We then agreed to meet one Sunday afternoon.  Leading to the said time, we have communicated via text many times and confirmed the meeting.  Then that afternoon came and I texted him again since he did not text me to finalize the time and place.  I did not hear back from him till 9 pm that day.  He said he overslept from his nap and he apologized for being a flake.  If this was a job interview, he would make sure he did not miss the interview.  The fact that he did not make arrangements to make sure he would wake up from his nap shows how important this meeting was to him.  For him it was no big deal if he missed doing it.  And that did not sit well with me.

Then there was this other guy I also met online.  We have chatted online, exchanged texts and even chatted on the phone.  We agreed to meet one Saturday afternoon.  That said Saturday came and I texted him in the morning to finalize the meeting.  He texted back saying he will have to reschedule for another day.  No explanation offered.  If this was a job interview, he would make sure he explained to the prospective employer why he is unable to come to the interview.  The fact that he cancelled last minute shows how unimportant this meeting was to him.  It was something low in his social calendar.  Whatever.  Needless to say I would not attempt to contact him again.

If these two guys still want to meet me, they just lost out cause I am not interested anymore.   Their behavior was not acceptable in a job interview and it not to me either.

No comments: