Saturday, May 17, 2008

2 down, 48 to go.

Last May 15, 2008, the Supreme Court of California overturned the ban on same-sex marriage in effect making it legal. This is the second State to do so following Massachusetts who legalized same-sex marriage in May 17, 2004. Outside of the USA, same sex-marriage is legal in Quebec, Ontario, Netherlands, Belgium and British Columbia. This is definitely good news for gay equal rights fight. The rights and obligations attached to a marriage should be available to anybody regardless of race, religious belief, class or sexual orientation. And I am not even talking about a religious marriage but a civil marriage. Those religions who want to ban gay marriage in their own organization can do so. No me importa!
Well, I better find a BF so we can go to California and get married. Or better yet, my dear gay cousin and his long time partner in California could get married so I will have the excuse to attend my first ever gay wedding!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

when we get married, you will definitely be in the wedding party.. perhaps the flower girl?:)

Jon said...

as long as I don't outshine the brides, I mean grooms. hehehe