Thursday, October 02, 2008

Weakness of Character.

I knew this guy Tony in Chicago who told me that he and his long distance BF were so made for each other despite the distance. They met each other's family and friends. He was practically raving about his BF. Tony had this "friend" Steve in Chicago but since Tony was in a "Good" long distance relationship, he was not pursuing anything but friendship with Steve. Then came a time when Steve had this first date with another guy Jason. Once Tony heard of this date, he felt threatened and feared he will loose Steve to Jason so he broke it off with his long distance BF and pursued a romantic relationship with Steve. Tony and Steve are now together.

I had a drink with a friend Frank once who told me that his monogamous BF Noel is the best BF he has ever had. Everything including sex with Noel is just perfect. Frank is a man in LOVE. Later that night, we met a common acquaintance Marvin who was with his friend Andrew. The physical attraction between Frank and Andrew was evident to me as the evening progress. They were so chatty and flirty with each other as more alcohol was consumed. I later left them. A few weeks later, I heard from Marvin that Frank and Andrew hooked up/went home together. Up to this point, Frank is still with his BF Noel.

These are two incidences that showed me how weak in character some gay guys are. Tony was raving about his long distance ex-BF but it was all talk. He wanted to have Steve on the side as a "friend" while he was dating this long distance BF. He totally bailed on his long distance BF the moment he could lose Steve as his back up. He wanted his cake and eat it too. And as for Frank, he showed a weakness of character by sleeping with Andrew despite of having a good relationship with Noel. If Frank told me that he and Noel were having relationship/sex problems, I would have understood what he did. But he was in a good relationship so why risk it over a one night stand? From my point of view, Frank practically grabbed the first opportunity of sleeping with a guy he finds attractive. He did not have enough restraint in the face of temptation.

I am not a perfect individual and I have my own weaknesses. But those two examples above are what I strive not to be. I strive to be more consistence in what I say and what I do. I strive to do the right thing despite the temptations in front of me. Consistency and restraint are the two lessons to be learned here.

No comments: