Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Bully

Dictionary.com defines a bully as a blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing person who habitually badgers and intimidates smaller or weaker people. He/she is a noisy, blustering person, more insolent than courageous; one who is threatening and quarrelsome; an insolent, tyrannical person.

It is my observation that for small school age children, bullies often uses physical force or physical intimidation to exert their wishes. But for adults, bullies often use other forms of intimidation. There are the religious bullies who uses fear of the afterlife as a means to command obedience. There are bullies who uses blackmail to get what they want. There are bullies who uses the market's rule of supply and demand to command an unfair prices on merchandise. There are bullies who uses authority or money to get ahead. Needless to say, any person who forces another to do something by any means besides that other persons own wishes is a bully.

When I was little, my brother of 4 years older than me had at one point or another bullied me by using physical intimidation. I do not remember a particular instance but even to these days, there had been an instance when he acted like he can still bully me. For the love of Jesus-Mary-Joseph, I am a grown man and I don't have to do what I don't like doing. That is probably why I don't talk to him anymore.

Several years ago while I was working out at Bally's fitness club at the Century Mall, I experienced another act of bullying. I was minding my own business and whistling to my self when this big steroid filled bag of a man told me, yes told me, to stop whistling cause he got distracted lifting his weights while narcissistically checking himself out in front of the mirror. Yes, he did not ask me nicely to refrain from whistling but just a matter of fact told me to stop as if expecting full compliance on my end. I was of course intimidated and stopped. I did not know any better. If it happened now, I would have gone on whistling and if he inflicted any physical violence on me, I would slap him with a big lawsuit till he would sell his ass hole for sex to pay his lawyers. Some of you might say I had it coming for whistling in a health club. LOL Come on! If anybody gets distracted by something in the gym, nobody can do almost anything. If somebody gets distracted by my voice for example, does that mean I can't talk to my friends in the gym? What I was doing was not unreasonable and loud. The bully simply did not like it and he intimidated me to stop. So to this day, I still remember that act of bullying inflicted to me. And every time I remember, I wishes that that man's testicle shriveled to a size of a rice grain from all the steroid he used.

2 comments:

Greg Konowitz said...

You're right bullies are bullies - the insecurity that drives them I have never figured out. In reference to the guy at the gym, this is probably the same guy that when he is lifting the weights, for lack of a better word, Screams. Which for me is distracting and annoying. Yet I have always thought it's his gym as well as mine, so I have never said anything. My dad was the bully in my house, he never hit me, but he could get so angry I was always afraid he would. To this day, sometimes it is very hard for me to look men in the eye, because I don't want to threaten them.

Jon said...

first, thanks for such an insightful reply. I am sorry to hear about the psychological damage your dad as inflicted on you. I hope some of these bullies will realize that what they are doing could have graver consequences on their victims.