Sunday, January 18, 2009

woke up to 60 degrees

Last wednesday, thursday and friday was brutally cold here in Chicago. And I not referring to grandpa being cold at 50 degree. I am talking about very cold even to the standards of a hardy chicagoan. Wednesday recorded temperature for hi/low was 16/0, thursday was 1/-13 and friday was 6/-17. That is cold indeed. And when it gets to be that cold, my baseboard hot water heating system can not sufficiently heat my condo. I set the thermostat control to 78 but saw my temperature reading indoor dipping to a low of 60 friday morning. Burr... I prepared for it by putting out my comforter so I was fine under it. The moment I step out of it to get ready friday morning, I was freezing. I could barely move. And my remote start could not start my car to preheat it before I step into it.

I am buying some space heater so next time it gets this cold, I am ready. I will also prepare better by covering my window air conditioner units with plastic. I sew a door draft guard from old fabrics today so I can use it on my main door that opens to the outside elements. So next time I will be ready.

2 comments:

Cecilia said...

Re: your space heater, you can buy a small one and have it face a window once it's on. It will heat up the window, which is where the cold comes in anyway. I do this and it heats a room really well.

Jon said...

thanks cez, will definitely try it.