Sunday, March 08, 2009

Chicago (the musical)

Last week I saw Chicago the musical here in Chicago with 2 coworkers. I did not intend to watch it but accidentally bought the tickets while trying to purchase Mary Poppins. But that is another blog entry and let me not digress.
I have seen Chicago the movie and I liked it. But I have not seen the Musical version ever so I was looking forward to it. The show was at the Oriental Theatre. The dancing was superb. Love the men and the way they danced. I have always love the style of Fosse. The singing was good and powerful. I have no complain but one. The actress who played Roxie Hart (Charlotte d' Amboise) had a gargly quality to her voice when she inhale for the next high note. It is not that obvious but I was noticing it more after I noticed it the first time. On the not so positive side. The set never changed so a lot of imagination have to be used. They just took chairs in and out as far as setting changes required. They never changed costume either! So it was rather a cheap production to make. Worth seeing once, but I would not pay again to watch it.

No comments: