Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Little Mermaid


I have fond memories of The Little Mermaid disney movie. I used to watch it every afternoon after a hard day as an intern for Physical Therapy School. I can still memorize the whole line of Ursula singing to Ariel before she transformed the mermaid into a human. Needless to say I love love love this movie and I had high expectations of the musical version. I was prepared to be disappointed as Ta Lani had a mixed review of it when she saw it first about a year ago. But I was thoroughly entertained after watching it this past weekend. Ta Lani was gracious enough to watched it again with me. Thank God for TKTS we got a good deal and good seats. The singing was brilliant. Love our Ursula Heidi Blickenstaff. She was funny and her voice just screamed Ursula. The costumes and set decorations did not disappoint me either. I was so curious how they would stage the sea and underwater part and it visually stimulated me. The special effect was very good. The additional songs worked for me too. I recognized some melodies from Beauty and the Beast incorporated into the new songs. The story may have been changed a little but it flowed just effortlessly. This show is definitely a treat for the 30 something and 40 something who remembered watching it when they were younger and it is also a new delight for the kids nowadays.

No comments: