Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Oil change of $39.99 is actually more.

Some business just try to get as much from the customers that the practice borders to a scam. And if you are not careful and check the bill properly, you get scammed. I was scammed so many time because I did not bother to check until one time when I looked, I noticed all these extra charges. I am referring to the Jiffy lube that I go to. They advertise their Oil change to be $39.99 yet they add a $1.00 "Supply fee" to the actual price. What the hell is a supply fee??? So when I asked them one time about it, they said things like rags and stuffs. Are you kidding me? Rags and stuff? Does the doctor office charge us for supplies like cotton balls, bandages and disinfecting alcohol? Does a restaurant charge us for the bowls and plates? Does a dance bar charge us for the light bulbs and decorations they used? Supplies to run a business are included in the service they provide. If they want to make more money, then they should advertise their price as $40.99 per oil change. Not advertise a lower price and charge an extra.

Another thing, their oil change price of $39.99 includes only 5 quarts of motor oil. And then they end up filling my car with 5.5 quarts and charge me $2.00 for the half a quarts of oil. But there were some instances when they only put 5 quarts of motor oil in. Also, I could put half a quarts of motor oil myself at a lesser price. So today during my motor oil change, I told the mechanics to only put 5 quarts. Lo and behold when I looked at the bill, they put in 5.5 and charge me $2.00 extra. So I had no qualms having them remove that $2. I told them specifically prior to just put in 5 quarts and they did not heed. Perhaps they were hoping I would not check the bill like many others.

So the moral of the story here, always check the details of the bills when you get your oil change. You might be getting scammed and you just did not know it.

No comments: