Tuesday, March 16, 2010

pet peeve - threatening chain email

Once in a while, I will get an email from a relative or a friend. When I open it, it is a chain email about religious stuff or some random stuff. The email then instructs me to forward it to an X amount of people I know within an X amount of time. It will also have testimonials from some people that it works. The premise is that if I follow the instruction and forward the email, I will receive good fortune or my prayers will be answered. The more people I forward it to, the sooner my good fortune will come to pass or my prayers be answered. It is not enough that this annoying email preys on my desires, it also threatens me. If I do not forward the email, I will get bad fortune.

What a load of crap! I do not even know what is the purpose of the chain email. Does it somehow have a spyware program that gathers those email addresses for future marketing? All I know, I NEVER forward any of these chain emails. I am not that gullible!

1 comment:

Greg Konowitz said...

I've always wondered about those as well, I don't see a purpose other than pure intimidation.