Sunday, January 02, 2011

I know her so well.

My friend took Janet in when I was gone for a long weekend recently. My friend has taken Janet in before without many issues but this time around, Janet has been having bladder and bowel accidents inside their house.

In the past 6 months that I have owned Janet, I got to know her nuances and quirks. I know when she needs to piss or pooh when we walk. And I have learned that if I did not meet her bladder and bowel needs, she will have accidents inside the house. If I fed her the wrong food or too much, she will have accidents. If I did not walk her enough and give her a chance to do her toilet needs, she will have accidents inside the house.

First let me say that I am very grateful to my friend taking Janet in when I was gone. But with the issues she had this time, I feel my friend is labeling her as untrustworthy of not having accidents inside the house. My friend said that they have walked her enough times and she would not do her toileting and would end up doing it inside the house. And I believe they have indeed walk her long enough but I feel there were several circumstances that may have led to the accidents.

1. There was a lot of snow fall that weekend and the snow that were shoveled to the grass area of the sidewalks piled so high and it was even taller than Janet. So she was unable to climb the snow piles to get to the grassy area where she would normally piss or pooh. When I walked her that evening that I got her from my friend, I noticed that she was having a hard time looking for a place to piss or pooh. I saw the behavior she would exhibit when she needs to do her toileting. Finally she was able to climb a gap and went to the middle of the snow plateau and poohed. The snow was not around the first time they took Janet in over the summer so she was able to do her toileting easily. This time the snow complicated things.

2. Secondly since I know her personality better, I know exactly what it takes for her to piss or pooh. She needs some sniffing and walking around before she finally squats to piss. Unlike my friends male dog that just open his leg on a bush or a trunk and piss right away. Janet literally will beat around the bush before she piss. And since my friend does not know her as well as I do, they may not have given her enough time to sniff around and piss during those walks.

3. Third reason could be the fact that being with another dog to play and ran around that weekend at my friend's house may have over stimulated her to move her bladder and bowel more.

4. And lastly she may have developed some separation anxiety when my friend took her to their house to cause her to have accidents.

No comments: