Sunday, January 16, 2011

The story that led to the Speech of a stuttering King

I saw the King's Speech not too long ago and I was totally impressed by the portrayal of Colin Firth as King George VI. In fact I was not surprise that he won the best actor award in the recent Golden Globe Awards. I feel he should win the Academy Awards best actor category as well. Along with Colin, this movie showcased a lot of the big names in British Cinema. Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Jennifer Ehle and Michael Gambon are also in this movie. Everybody acted their parts convincingly. The set, costumes and general atmostphere of the movie made me feel I was in that particular Era.

The story of course is about King George VI, who was a stutterrer, and his relationship with his speech therapist and friend, Lionel Logue. The movie dwelved into the unconventional methods of the therapist and the psyche of the relunctant monarch. How he became a stutterrer and what he needed to do to overcome this were explored with fluidity that did not make me feel bored at all. Some witty lines and heartfelt dramatic moments kept me riveted to the movie. The climax of the movie was when the stuttering King was able to deliver the speech that moved the British Empire during the World War II just when the nation truly needed to hear their King.

Just a great movie all in all that deserved another place in my collections of movie greats. Truly a 5 star movie!

No comments: