Thursday, July 28, 2011

Janet's vet bill from the bite.

As I have blogged earlier, Janet was bit by a big black dog while walking two Sundays ago. I took her to the vet and it cost roughly $300 for the treatment. Many people I have spoken to about the incident and people in facebook have indicated that the owner of the black dog should pay for the vet bill. I did not feel right about it cause I felt just culpable for the incident. We both allowed the dogs to interact since both dogs were not showing signs of aggression. The big black dog, for some unpredictable reason, snapped at Janet and bit her in the butt. Also during one of the earlier meeting, the dog owner did indicate the black dog is not the friendliest of dogs. And back then, we did not have the dogs interact. Having said that, I was not sure if I should contact the dog owner or not. My upstair neighbor knows him so I could have asked for the dog owner's number or email but I just decided to wait when I see him again walking his dog.

So today while I was walking Janet, I run into the black dog owner. I told him about how the bite wound did not heal and I have to bring Janet to the Vet. I asked him, without pointing blame, if he could help out with the vet bill. He offered to pay half which was very fair as far as I am concern. So we parted with that understanding. The exchange was very amiable and I felt happy to recoup half of the vet bill. When I returned home from our walk, I saw him again by my building with $300 at hand. He decided to pay for the whole vet bill which I thought was very gracious of him. I told him that he did not have to do that cause part of the blame was on me. I told him I would have been happy with whatever amount he could offer to help or half as we both agreed on. Evidently, he was very guilty with the incident that he felt he should foot the whole bill. Indeed this was a very pleasant and unexpected surprise. I am very happy.

No comments: