Sunday, August 21, 2011

My first Rodeo, gay rodeo.


I have been curious about the Windy City gay rodeo that happens at Crete, IL for a couple of years now. This year I told myself to check it out. I asked 3 friends ahead of time to go with me. One said he did not feel well. Another told me last minute that he got to sleep off the hang over for drinking too much the night before at a party. And the third said he has to do chores. So what am I to do when my friends gives me excuses for not going? I went alone. It was about an hour of easy drive from Chicago thanks to my GPS. It started at noon and I got there around quarter to one. The entrance fee to get into the rodeo compound was $15 which I thought was a little steep for what it offered. There was a big pen where the Rodeo contest with the cows and horses happened. Some bleacher benches for the spectators on one side. Some booths for cowboy wear, leather wear and food vendors were positioned around the perimeter of the rodeo fair ground. There was a big tent with tables and chairs for dinning and another tent for dancing with country western music. During my stay at the fair grounds for about 2 hours, I got to see some gay cheerleaders and gay cowboys perform and dance. I also watched 3 events. One was trying to rope the calf on its feet (calf roping on foot), another was trying to tumble down the steer/bull from its horns (chute dogging) and the third was trying to lasso the running cow (mounted breakaway roping). Contestants were from all over north america from what I heard when they were introduced. The variety of men around there were mostly 30 to 50 something. Most were bearish in built and white. Some lesbians were also there. Everybody was regular looking and definitely not in the category of eye candy.

The performances were fun and gay. The contests were interesting. I took loads of videos and pictures. All in all I had a positive experience. Definitely more fun if I was with friends but what can I do if they won't oblige me with their company. I just have to remember not to be as obliging next time they need my company.

No comments: