Friday, March 30, 2012

The hunger games - the review

With all the hype I have been hearing about The Hunger Games, it was inevitable that I watch this movie. Even my cousins liked the books so I went ahead and got a copy (via Dole) of The Hunger Games on my kindle.

So this past weekend I went to see The Hunger Games with Sam and Richard. None of us 3 have read the books but we were all optimistically eager to see this movie. I must say the hype is somewhat overrated. I am not saying the movie was bad, it was just not excellent. While sitting there for the first 3/4 of the movie, most of what I was feeling was anger. I knew it is fiction but the whole notion of a supposedly evolved and advanced society having this games where kids kill each other is very very upsetting. It hearkens to the days of ancient Rome where the Roman would gather in the Colosseum to watch and cheer the gladiators slay each other. So primitive and unrefined to say the least. But beyond the barbaric behaviors of the people/society who are the alpha in this story, there were many scenes that showcased bravery, compassion, loyalty and love. It made me choked up a bit in several scenes. The movie did end on a good note which was satisfying. And the ending was a perfect set up for the second movie. And I will admit that I would want to see the next movie to find out what happened next. But I bet I would have read the 3 books already before this happens.

I will give this move 4 stars out of 5. I was entertained.

No comments: