Thursday, July 08, 2010

My fishing hobby

Fishing is my new found hobby. I do not know how long this will last but for now I am most diverted by it. It all began when I saw these videos of snakehead, Large mouth bass and Northern Pike in Youtube. These fish would eat anything that fit in their mouth. One video of a Northern Pike in particular ate a bass about 1/3 its size! I was amazed and riveted. I want one of those fish in my aquarium! But unfortunately pet stores and fish stores do not sell them. I have to catch one myself to bring home. Well at least I knew I can catch a Bass and Pike here in America. Snakeheads are just found in Asia. So I started researching about the possibility of fishing for one. What started as a fleeting idea became a reality when I made a trip to Bass Pro shop and purchased my very first fishing rod and accessories. I know nothing about it but I solicited the assistance of the good folks at the shop. I read more about fishing and I discussed more about it to people. I gained knowledge and the more I gained, the more I got hook.

So I made trips to Montrose Harbor in an attempt to catch my very first fish. On my 3rd trip, I finally caught 4 of what I thought were catfish. But later research revealed that what I caught were Round Goby which are invasive species to Lake Michigan. Regardless of what I caught, my very first catch was very exciting and rewarding! I felt that I have accomplished something from my perseverance. I conquered the wild! That is being overly dramatic I know. Later trips to Montrose Harbor yielded more Round Goby prize. It was not as exciting as the first time. Soon I yearned to catch any other fish besides a Goby. I aimed to catch a Bass or a Pike which was what started this hobby.

The opportunity presented itself when I was invited by my friend Sam and Richard to spend the 4th of July long weekend in Lindstrom, MN. I have been there before and I know there are lakes in the area that I could fish. So I packed my fishing gear and traveled to MN with Sam that Friday. Got myself a 3 day 25 dollars MN fishing license and began my attempt to catch the elusive Bass or Pike. First try was in a canoe with Richard. It was an adventure that included the canoe tipping over due to strong waves. Got really wet and caught no fish. Second attempt was at the local beach of Lake Lindstrom along the public pier. Caught none again. I persevered and on my second trip to Lake Lindstrom on the 3rd day, I was rewarded by a catch. At first I was getting no bite from the fish while the couple next to me keeps on getting bites. I followed their method and that yielded a Sun fish! Yay! I finally caught my second fish species. Stimulating as it was but still no Bass or Pike. I believe I am slowly learning how to catch one. Perhaps my third fish species catch will be a Bass or a Pike. Perhaps not but the adventure will go on.

2 comments:

Cecilia said...

Your post should be titled, "Hooked". :D Seems like you are! Good for you, Jon!

Jon said...

Hooked would have been a good appropriate title. :-)