Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Memory trigger

It is funny how some things, places or events trigger certain memories either pleasant or unpleasant. For my case, the men who have broken my heart continue to hunt my memory each time I see/encounter a memory trigger related to them.
Todd - I remember Todd every time I see/hear anything about golf, gambling, downhill skiing and Irish. Todd is Irish American and he likes to play golf. We have gone to holidays together where he has gambled on the blackjack table and won several hundreds. We also went skiing 3 times to Colorado. I still remember Todd every now and then but it is no longer an unpleasant memory.
Ed - Ed was my young bf who came from a small town of Peru in central Illinois. He worked as a bank teller and when we were together, his employment was an issue. Each time I pass by a bank or hear something about Peru/central Illinois, I remember Ed. He also likes to watch a lot of HGTV so I never watch any of those shows anymore. I just want to forget that period in my life.
Brian - Brian and I dated very briefly and he live near Addison and Southport Avenues. Each time I drive by that area, I remember Brian. I feel a tiny bit lamentful about the fact that Brian and I did not become a couple but there is nothing I can do about that.
Mark - Mark is the latest guy I dated very briefly that did not come to fruition. I did like Mark and I had hopes of a good future together. But as it was not meant to be so we did not end up together. Mark is a huge fan of the Chicago Cubs. When we were together, he would be checking the score of the Cubs. Each time I pass by Wrigley Field or see anything Cubs related, I remember Mark and the pangs associated with what could have been. This is really difficult because I live near Wrigley Field and there are tons of memory trigger for Mark. Sigh.

1 comment:

Jon said...

As of today and after some reflective thinking, I declare that I am over those guys.