Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sense of entitlement

Some people have a sense of entitlement and this applies to driving situations. Even if they do not have the right of way, they feel that the other driving should yeild to them. Below are two examples of what I am saying

In the above illustration, I was vehicle A and vehicle B was coming off of a gas station trying to merge in my lane. In ordinary circumstances, I would have let him merge in front of me out of courtesy but not because he has the right of way. But I was in a hurry so I did not. As I passed by him, he honked his horn in protest that I did not let him merge. What an ass! He felt entitled to merge that by not getting what he wants angered him.

In the illustration above, I was vehicle A and vehicle B was trying to get out of his parking space. Again, if I was in a good mood, I would have let me merge in front of me out of courtesy and not because he has the right of way. But I was not in a good mood because of bad traffic and I was not about to let another vehicle cut in front of me. As I pass by him, he yelled a sarcastic "thanks" to protest that he did not get to cut in front. Another ass! Who does he think he is that he is entitled to cut in front when he does not have the right of way.

Yes, I was probably being an ass as well by not letting them cut but that is not my point. My point is they do not have the RIGHT of way and they should not be upset if the other driver does feel like letting them cut in front. It is like a beggar cussing at you because you will not give them money. It's their delusional sense of entitlement that makes them a bigger ass.

For more information on Illinois' driving rules on Right of Way, click HERE.

No comments: