Friday, November 07, 2008

Carbon footprint

Carbon footprint is defined by wikipedia as a "measure of the impact that human activities have on the environment in terms of the amount of greenhouse gases produced, measured in units of carbon dioxide". These gases are produced by the burning of fossil fuels for our everyday living. I calculated my carbon footprint and is around 15 tonnes/year. The US average is 27 tonnes/year. The worldwide average is 5.5 tonnes/year. And the target of environmental agencies is 2.0 tonnes/year. I am happy to know I am below the US average but I know I still have plenty of work to lower it to 2.0 tonnes/year. The concept of carbon footprint is something that most americans should be more cognizant of considering most industrial nations are the biggest contributors for global warming. If you want to know your carbon footprint, click HERE.

No comments: