Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanks Harvey Milk!

I saw Milk the movie, a biographical story about Harvey Milk. He was the first elected openly gay man to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors during the 70s. Before watching this movie, I had a vague idea of how it was for the gay and lesbian folks back then. But now I am clear that gay rights was almost non-existence. Gay people had no rights to be protected from discrimination in housing and work. Or if they did have it at one point, it was state by state taken away from them thanks to the work of that bigot religious bitch Anita Bryant. She wants to do the same in California via Proposition 6. But Harvey Milk, along with other political activists, worked hard to combat that in California. They had passion and purpose to protect the basic human rights of gay people. They gave the young gay men and lesbians back then hope for a future that we see today. They gave the gay men and lesbians all over American a place to flee from the pursecution and discrimination they faced at home. Truly one of the pioneers for gay rights. These basic rights against discrimination I enjoy today, I ought it partly to their hard work. The priviledges I have to go to gay venues and events today, I ought it partly to their hard work. And for that, I want to say Thank you Harvey and friends. Your sacrifices were not in vain. More work is needed but at least I have some rights already in place. Hopefully someday, we can trully live up to what the Constitution said that "All men are created EQUAL"!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

can't wait to see it!

Jon said...

did u like it tito ricksy?