Saturday, August 01, 2009

would my dad been ok with me being gay?

My father passed away many year ago. I can not claim I missed him. He was not in the picture when I was growing up so I am used to not seeing him often. My brothers and I would only get to see my dad during summer or holiday breaks from school. I may not have strong feelings for my dad but one thing I can say, he was not a dead beat dad. He provided for his kids. I will always thank him for that.

When I was little and sitting at the foot of his bed watching "Falcon Crest" the soap opera from the 80s, he once told me that if I was going to be gay, I should be a respectable gay person and not run around prancing with make up and ladies clothing. So I knew he was not oblivious to my tendencies. But since he passed away before I was able to formally come out to him as a gay man, I have always wondered how he would be now if he visits me here in America. Would he be ok knowing that I date men? Would he even want to meet my boyfriends and gay friends? Would I be able to talk to him about my life without editing the gay aspects like I don't with my mom? Would he even want to read this blog which has a fair amount of gay related entries? Those questions have crossed my mind every so often.

A year before my father was murdered, we have began exchanging letters. I was already living here in the States and he even wrote of visiting me. I have to say I was forming an adult relationship with my father and even thought I would finally get to know the man better. But since he was killed before any of those things we planned of doing came to fruition, I have wonder would my dad been ok with me as a gay man. And deep down in my heart I think he would have been OK with it. He has 2 other sons so it is not like I was his only hope of passing the family name. And from what my stepmother has told me once, my dad was proud of me for my educational accomplishments. So I think he would still have been proud of me for my financial and career achievements and accept my being gay. And also since I am not a prancing cross dresser, I think he would not have made a big deal of my sexuality. This at least I like to believe would have been the case.

No comments: