Tuesday, August 25, 2009

a thin line between demanding and hoping

There is something to be said about a person demanding something. And there is something to be said about a person hoping for something but not demanding it. In many instances, what really irks me is a person demanding something out of a situation that is not even suppose to be happening.

One example is this woman from my old job. While working with her spanish speaking father, we had an in-house interpreter work with us during our treatment sessions. At that time my spanish was not good enough to allow me to communicate directly with the patient. So the next best thing was to have an interpreter with us. The woman asked for a spanish speaking therapist to work with her dad but unfortunately there was none. And this bitch had the audacity to say "This is unacceptable, you SHOULD have a spanish speaking therapist!" Unfortunately I was forced to hold my tongue otherwise she would have heard attitude from me. We are in Chicagoso so why should we be expected to speak their language? If anything else, they should learn english since they choose to live here. That was just wrong.

In my current job which serves a lot of spanish speaking patients, I have fortunately not encountered a person demanding that we speak spanish to them. A lot of them actually are so pleased and thankfull that I can somehow communicate with them in spanish. Granting my grammar may not be perfect but the message gets across. In these instances, they hope that someone can speak spanish to them but not demand it. That is how it should be.

No comments: